So I fancy myself “well traveled” in the music scene. Even though it’s almost impossible to keep up with all of the latest bands that come down the pipe, I like to try. However, once you discover a band and then more than six people discover them, they’re already not cool. Like Arctic Monkeys for example. They were cool before they were supposed to be cool, and by the time anyone could actually listen to them to verify their coolness, they were already uncool. Faster than the build and fade of Ricky Martin. Almost.
So even though I have over 13,000 songs just waiting for me to invite into my ear drums, I went to the trouble to ask iTunes what I’m ACTUALLY listening to. The answer my friends, is that I’m a 15 year old girl.
- Fort Minor – Red to Black – 15 spins (It’s like i’m a DJ!)
- Fort Minor – Feel Like Home – 15
(I’m thinking that perhaps I enjoy Fort Minor)
- AC/DC – Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution – 11
This one just happens to be a good song to work out to. I have worked out approximately eleven times in 2008. Bring it.
- Justin Timberlake – Losing My Way – 11
I am Tigerbeat
- Katharine McPhee – Love Story – 11
Ok, so this one is just plain embarassing. Not only has she been DROPPED from her label after lackluster sales, this one probably gets me kicked out of any clubs that require manliness. But since I can’t fix anything, I’ve already been kicked out of any exclusive manly clubs.
- Daughtry – It’s Not Over – 10
Are you sensing an ‘American Idol’ theme here? I swear I listen to indie music and have a shred of street cred! I swear!
- Nelly Furtado – Promiscuous (129BPM) – 10
Keep in mind, this is the ‘techno’ version sped up and stuff. Street cred!
- Paul Oakenfold – Faster Kill Pussycat – 10
I don’t even LIKE electronic music. Ok a little bit.
- D.H.T. – At Seventeen – 9
Apparently I like it quite a bit
- Daniel Bedingfield – Gotta Get Thru This (D’n’D Radio Edit) – 9
See the Radio Edit part makes it cooler. You’re right, I am simply grasping at straws.
- Emery – To Whom it May Concern – 9
This song is undeniably cool. Even nine times played cool.
- Fort Minor – Petrified – 9
I’m starting to re-think who my “favorite” band actually is.
- Mims – This is Why I’m Hot (Rock Mix) – 9
See? It’s a rock mix! And this was the only song that got me through my last leg of the Wasatch Back in 2007. I was ready to die of a heart attack and this song came on and I was able to sprint, yes literally SPRINT, through the exchange. THIS is why I’m hot!
- 30 Seconds to Mars – Attack – 9
Say what you will about Jordan Catalano turned musician. This album is pretty sweet.
- Bloc Party – Like Eating Glass – 8
I can’t listen to one…
- Bloc Party – Helicopter – 8
Without the other
- P.Diddy – Tell Me – 8
Probably the only one in America that has listened to this song more than twice.
- Fall Out Boy – Don’t You Know Who I Think I Am – 8
FOB is one of those bands who think it’s cute to give their songs weirdly ironic titles that really have nothing to do with the song. As such, I have no idea what this song actually is. But apparently I have listened to it a time or 8!
- Handsome Boy Modeling School – Rock and Roll (Could Never Hip Hop Like This.) – 8
Here’s a good song for your proverbial work out mix.
- Kenna – Freetime – 8
I will give you a dollar if you have heard of this artist. Check out my cred now!
- Nelly Furtado – Afraid – 8
Apparently I like Nelly. Don’t tell anyone.
- The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus – Face Down – 8
Like Silver Chair before them or even Candlebox, The RJA will soon fade away into obscurity. After I listen to their song eight times first.
- AC/ DC – Back in Black – 7
Finally, something manly!
- The Audition – You’ve Made Us Unconscious – 7
Again, I have no idea what this song actually is.
- Bloc Party – Banquet – 7
And just in case you thought I didn’t like them. Here’s some more Bloc Party.
So what did i learn from all of this? That no matter how “musically diverse” I really think that I am, I’m not. I have the same musical tastes as an elementary school class. That’s obsessed with Nelly Furtado. I think I’m going to go check if my Garanimals still fit.